Growing up I always hear my dad praying to God to forgive him for all that he has done in the past. As a matter of fact, it was a religious prayer point during our morning devotions and he prayed it with all seriousness.
Most of the time he attributes any unfortunate event happening to him as a result of what he did in the past.
I always felt sorry for him whenever he made those prayers. Over the years, I realized that God has actually forgiven him but he is yet to forgive himself….
I feel it’s hard to forgive yourself than every other person.
I have learnt that the person I have to ask for forgiveness from the most is: MYSELF.
Probably you have been blaming yourself for how your life turned out. You have been telling yourself that maybe you could have…….
- Been in a better place in life if you didn’t take your friends advice
- Gotten that certification if you were a bit serious with your academics
- Been free from guilt if you didn’t commit an abortion that damaged your womb
- Started that business if you were focused and not carried away by what your colleagues were doing
- Started that non-profit if you were vulnerable enough to share your story, believe in yourself and shut off the voices that tried to demean you
- Achieved your dreams if you didn’t get married to an insecure man
- Written that book if you didn’t let procrastination get a better part of you
- Paid the price to stay in His presence and get what can draw nations to you if you weren’t distracted by social media
- Influenced your generation if you were disciplined and focused enough to walk in your purpose
- Saved the life of your mum if not for financial crisis
- Not miscarried your baby if you didn’t stress yourself
- Being a better parent if you knew better
- Advanced in your career if not for your children
Sis!!! Please stop with the endless “could haves” and FORGIVE YOURSELF!
If you keep hanging on to the past, you will be handicapped all the rest of your life and to be honest, you cannot do anything about the past but the creation of your future is in your hands.
There’s a lot of goodies waiting on the other side of forgiving YOU.
This is a good time to pick up yourself and resurrect those dreams you had as a little girl.
You may not be able to achieve those dreams like you imagined but your experiences can give those dreams expression to grow and if you let God breathe on them, hunnie there’s no limit to what you can achieve.
Forgive yourself and nurture those dreams
Forgive yourself as you strive to be your best self
I have learnt that the words that broke me and the tears that sunk me helped me built the boat that led me to an island I never saw before.
Sis, You owe it to yourself to LIVE…